Happy Pride Month!
Pride is a celebration of love, freedom and equality. This June marks 50 years since the first pride March in the U.K! Despite June being the official month to celebrate Pride, our support for the LGBTQ+ community is ongoing.
Did you know that London has the highest proportion of LGBTQ+ adults of any region in England?
- LGBTQ+ stands for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender. At times, a Q will be added for Queer and/or Questioning, an A for Asexual, P for polyamorous and P for pansexual, an I for Intersex and/or a 2S for Two- Spirit. For more definitions, head to the Stonewall Glossary.
- It’s estimated that up to one in ten people in London identifies as LGBTQ+.
- There are higher rates of mental health issues among this group, with depression, self-harm, alcohol and drug abuse and suicidal thoughts being higher in this community.
- Over half of LGBTQ+ people (52%) said they’ve experienced depression in the last year. One in eight LGBTQ+ people aged 18-24 (13%) said they’ve attempted to take their own life in the last year.
- This is because as a minority community, they are faced with stigma, prejudice and discrimination.
Check out the links below to learn more:
At Mind in Brent, Wandsworth & Westminster, we support people from all walks of life struggling with their mental health.
Posted on: 15th June 2022